Center for Business and Environment 10th Anniversary
CBEY 10th Anniversary Celebration (Social Entrepreneurship and Urban Resilience)
Google SF, Wednesday, March 22nd!
To help celebrate our 10th anniversary, the Yale Center for Business and the Environment invites you to a unique event in San Francisco!
Alumni, partners and leaders will convene to advance the conversation on Social Entrepreneurship and Urban Resilience.
Participate in highly interactive panel discussions followed by a networking reception with a stunning view from Google's San Francisco office.
Schedule of Events:
4:00 to 4:20 - Welcome and Introductory remarks
- Indy Burke, Carl W. Knobloch, Jr. Dean of the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies
- Stuart DeCew, Director of the Yale Center for Business and the Environment
4:20 to 5:10pm - Urban Resilience
The world is urbanizing at a rapid rate. The UN estimates that 66% of the world’s population will live in cities by 2050, an incredibly dramatic increase from the 10% that lived in urban areas a century ago. While urbanization has always been an accelerator of growth and development, it also poses profound challenges for residents, communities, corporations, cities, regions, and countries.
Through courses, conferences and events, Yale convenes academics and practitioners from business, government, and civil society to engage with the topic of urban resilience and the challenges and opportunities facing global cities. This panel session seeks to continue the conversation with leaders in the field, discussing how individuals, communities, businesses, institutions, and systems can survive and thrive under constant shocks (earthquakes, fires, floods) and stresses (unemployment, violence, food/water shortages) occurring across the world’s cities.
- Brad Gentry, Faculty Co-Director, Yale Center for Business and the Environment
- Andrew Dempsey, Innovations for the Built Environment at Google
- Caren Perlmutter MBA’13, Education Manager at OpTerra Energy Services
- Laura Tam MEM ‘03, Sustainable Development Policy Director at SPUR
5:10 to 6:00pm - Social Entrepreneurship
Across generations, Yale alumni have embraced leadership roles to build organizations and businesses that seek to solve society’s critical challenges both locally and globally. Currently, the Yale Center for Business and the Environment is working across campus to support Social Entrepreneurs in creating “One Yale that fosters, supports and inspires an entrepreneurial spirit to address the world’s critical challenges, and to positively affect a billion lives over the next decade”.
Showcasing inspirational entrepreneurs who are using their innovative businesses to create change at scale, this panel session will consider the role of social entrepreneurship in addressing critical social and environmental challenges and the role that the University can play in supporting and inspiring the next generation of leaders.
- Cass Walker, Associate Director of Social Entrepreneurship, Yale University
- Marisa de Belloy BA '94, COO at Cool Effect
- Claire Schlemme MEM '11, CEO at Renewal Mill
- Zach Parisa, MFS '09, Co-Founder at SilviaTerra
6:00pm-7:00pm - Reception